Cockatoos, when hand fed as babies and properly tamed, tend to form extremely strong lifelong bonds with their owners.
They are also known to be one of the most affectionate parrot species, craving petting from their owners, and preferring to be on or near them at all times. In fact, some Cockatoos can become depressed if they feel like their owners aren’t showing them enough attention, and this can lead to side effects such as feather plucking and destructive behavior. For this reason, they are only recommended for those who have a lot of time to devote to handling and socializing with their pets.
Here are some more fun facts about them:
- Cockatoos are very smart, but if they get bored, they sometimes destroy things.
- Cockatoos are the loudest of all parrots. They screech and even scream to communicate with each other.
- They live a long time – from 50 to 80 years.
- Some cockatoos can mimic human speech.
- Cockatoos can learn to do tricks. Training can also make them better behaved.
Videos via newsflare