A construction site can be messy and full of debris and dirt. Sometimes it also contains
construction waste that can be really harmful. This is why it is necessary for you to do post-
construction cleaning before moving. If you cannot do it yourself, you can call a good cleaning
commercial service provider and have them do it for you.
Many companies are offering post – construction cleanup services these days, so it won’t be difficult for you to find one. You can get some good recommendations from your friends and family circle and hire a professional
cleaning company. However, if you still want to do the cleanup yourself, then here’s a detailed
guide that you can follow.
1- Material Required
First of all, you should have all the cleaning material available for post-construction cleanup.
Here is a comprehensive list of cleaning supplies and equipment necessary to clean the newly
- A large number of garbage bags
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Dustproof masks
- Mop bucket and Squeezer
- Tools to remove paddings
- Mop heads
- Protective Gloves
- Exfoliating pad
- Set of Brushes
- Eyewear for protection
- Trash containers
- Supplies for Window cleaning (water buckets, cleaning agents, detergents, squeegee,
- scrappers, microfiber cloths, sharp blades.)
- Butter knife
- Helmet for head protection
- Supplies for cleaning carpets (floor finishing agents, floor cleaners, spraying bottles, stain
- removing agents.)
- Chemicals required: (universal cleaners, spray bottles, wood cleaners, steel cleaners,
- metal cleaners, degreasing agents.)
- Most of these items are available in every home and are well-known. Another advantage is that
- they are very affordable and easy to find. All of these should be a must in your post
- construction cleaning checklist.
2- Clean the Entire Area by Dividing Into Zones
Zone1: Interior of the Building
During construction, the entire indoor space can become quite dusty and cluttered. Whether it is
a bedroom, office, or any other area inside the building, you should make sure to:
- Wipe off all light sources, including windows, with dust mops.
- Clean the entire indoor surfaces. This also includes doors and furniture.
- Make sure that trash is removed properly.
Zone2: Areas that Get High Traffic
High-traffic areas are such points of a building that are frequently used. Especially in
commercial buildings, these frequently used areas are also of considerable value. For example, a
lobby can be a high-traffic area in a commercial building. Such areas are prone to wear and
damage. Therefore you must ensure that:
- Glass, mirrors, and windows are thoroughly cleaned.
- Light sources, switches, and coverings are free of dust.
- Doors and their knobs are neat and shiny.
- Floors are cleaned with wet mops, and trash is removed.
Outdoors are often neglected in the post-construction cleanup. However, leaving them is not
ideal at all. Therefore, you must:
- Clean all the sidewalks, decks, patios, and any other types of landscaping elements.
- Ensure that the garden is free of falling leaves.
- Completely dispose of the clutter.
Zone 4: Kitchen
The kitchen is a space that has gaps that are often neglected. When the construction project is
done, kitchens should be cleaned immediately if you want to settle in quickly.
- Clean the sinks dishwashers, and unclog the drain pipes.
- Wipe all the surfaces and appliances.
- Clean the floors with a detergent.
- Clean the cabinets from inside to remove the dust.
- Make sure that garbage is collected and removed.
Zone 5: Bathroom
The bathrooms should be clean and functional as well. Sinks, tubs, and showers must be properly
disinfected. Mirrors, countertops, and shelves must be wiped to remove dust. Floors should be
vacuumed and cleaned with wet wipes. At last, windows, vents, and window sills should also be
3- Hire a Professional Company for Post-Construction Cleaning
The time and efforts of a post-construction cleanup along with the cost are most of the time
overlooked. DIY cleanup saves you money, but the time will be double, and so will be the efforts
you will put in. There are a few reasons why hiring professionals is the right decision, and some
of them are:
- Professional cleaners are well aware of the potential dangers that can cause injuries whilecleaning your newly constructed area. There can be leftovers and construction debris that mighthave nails and broken glass pieces, which can cause severe injuries. Furthermore, dirt makes it extremely difficult to breathe in newly constructed sites.
- Professional cleaners understand all of these problems and work efficiently by taking precautions.
Although you can clean an area on your own, professional cleaners undergo proper training to
clean an area effectively and timely. Moreover, they know the areas which a common person
might miss. Hence, hiring professional cleaners is always a good idea.
If you are doing the post-construction cleaning yourself, you should be careful and take all the
necessary precautions. Follow the guide shared above, and you will be good to go.